6 Mistakes We Make When Brushing
Utilizing proper technique – when brushing, it is important that you use proper technique. Failure to use proper technique can result in receding gums, gingivitis, tooth decay, and other problems. Almost 98% of the population lose their teeth in old age, even though this is entirely preventable. A big part of why is the lack of proper cleaning.
- Your brush is too hard. Choose a soft brush as hard brushes destroy your tooth enamel
- You rush when brushing. Most people don’t brush for 2 minutes, which means they leave some plague behind
- You keep your toothbrush too long. Make sure you change your toothbrush every 2-3 months
- You go back and forth. Brushing back and forth does not effectively clean teeth. This massage and brush in circles and at a 45-degree angle
- You forget the gum line. Bacteria often hang out where the tooth meets the gum make sure you get all the teeth are in your brushing routine
- You forget about your tongue- make sure you brush or scrape your tongue as the bacteria that build up is one of the causes of bad breath.
Keep your equipment clean. Always rinse your toothbrush with water after brushing. Store your toothbrush in an upright position and allow it to air-dry until using it again. Know when to replace your toothbrush, invest in a new toothbrush every three months or soon as the bristles become irregular.
At Sunset dentistry, our qualified dental hygienist specializes in preventative education and periodontal (gum) treatment and maintenance. Visit us at Sunset dentistry, for dental checkups and oral examinations to help prevent tooth decay, let us take care of your teeth you can also call us to book your appointment.